Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Who is Caribbean? Is this important?

Today's update comes about due to a brief conversation that took place between a young lady who is consulting on a project being put together by producer, Michael Pack, and I. Pack is interested in finding a calypso expert and singer rolled into one.
The richness of Caribbean culture is rooted in our multi-ethnic inheritance; our art forms echoing a larger telling story that identifies us as a group. Out of curiosity more than smarts, I decided to ask about the relevance of calypso to the production. Would a professor of Caribbean Studies or a Caribbean historian be a better match. I did not understand how a documentary on Alexander-Hamilton rippled towards calypso and needed clarity.

These sort of things trickle my brain. The standard reality is, few people knows us. A more stark truth is, fewer us, know about us. In many ways to the world, the Caribbean is a destination,. The people are underscored ecept where our genteel charm and warm smiles become vital to a service industry.

To coax myself into the radiance of Caribbean culture, I've been earnestly seeking out people who hold, in abundance, the splendor of Caribbean heritage. Knowledge on food and music, migration and such likes. I see Caribbean as a collage, making the word/phrase 'Pan-Caribbean' less awkward and more sustaining.

Its a snowball effect that I'm expecting. So far I feel like I've plunged into a nourishing spring of cool, refreshing currents. Rather than just pondering the meaning of what is Caribbean, I am exploring my thoughts and is getting kissed with information as well as great experiences.

This link to Michael Pack through Jessie is extraordinary.. While I cerebrate, I am also seeking ways to help fulfill the sense, palpable energies and definitions of Caribbean.

No comments: