Friday, July 03, 2009

Congressman Ed Towns & Mr. Irving Burgie (Composer & Lyricist) All night we were saying, Day-O, singing Day-O, the Congress Man gets up and say "O-Day" Pic courtesy of Gregg Richards. From 'Reflection on a Legacy"-6/6/09

We have finally slowed the grieving for pop icon Michael Jackson in my home. It was something that happened because ..no lie MJ was huge. It is a lost in many ways but the cycle of life continues. I wanted to go out and have some Caribbean food then blog about it today but I've fallen behind with other projects that I must attend to.

I'm also getting comfy with the book The 8th Habit, From Effectiveness to Greatness by Stephen R. Covey. Very insightful piece of literature. Its is my nightcap. Between the glass of wine, some jazz, is this book and at the end of it zzzzzzzzzzzzz!

On my list of things today is to connect with Glenville Lovell to get that interview with him on the way. Was shopping in Marshalls a few years ago and came across one of his novels. Bought it, read it and sent it to a friend. Good read. I'd met him a few years before at a reading for his first novel. Nothng against my colleague but in plain Jamaican lingo... mi had to try hard nuh feh drap asleep.. Lawd is only the writing that did kip mi politely awake... not every writer must read dem own writing. Hush Glenville.

Additional I've made arrangements to tape a segment with Horace "Gabu Jr " Wedderburn. Gabu drums for the Lion King. He happens to be a person from my childhood. In those days 3 years older made a huge difference and me 8 and Gabu 13 make mi little pickney. His younger brother Clyde however who was in the same class as me through to high school, was my company. He is one of the first boy that I recognize as having had a crush on me. LMOA. Anyway, Gabu and I will be meeting for what I am anticipating as a truly great experiecne share. Gabu is from the island of Jamacia.

I will be learning many things as a result of this blog.. things about my Caribbean roots and culture that I will in turn teach, share or remind you. By the way.. I will be breaking out in my native tongue ever so often.. some things are best said that way, so brace yourselves.

No comments: